Monday, April 14, 2008

Stuck Trains and a Busy Night

For any of you readers that live in Moore America between 12th and 19th street, you may have a pretty good idea about what gave me a headache tonight. I get to Hailee's sitters at 5:00pm everyday who lives on the west side of the train tracks that run N/S off I-35. We live on the east side of the tracks. I pick Hailee up and we are on our way home, I see the line of car lights ahead and know the train is stalled! I come across this at least 2-3 times a week it seems, maybe not quite that much but it certainly feels like it when you want to get somewhere in a hurry. It happens when I am on my way to work at 6:30am too! As I am tryiny my best to sit there patiently and wait as I talk to Hailee about her day, I get a call from Nathan....someone wants to come and look at our house tonight (our home is for sale) which is great! But, now it's nearly 5:45, no dinner, haven't made it home, need to do some light cleaning, they will be here in an hour. So, I shimmy out of the car lane somehow, the train isn't even moving at a snails pace at this point, it is dead. I perform a magic u-turn and decide to by pass the tracks further north. I'm thinking about dinner now, don't really want to cook because then that means I have to clean before the guests arrive. So, I decide to make a quick stop at Del Rancho to pick up some sandwiches. Then I begin to feel the guilt spread over me as I am not cooking a nice healthy home cooked meal for my family, but, hey, sometimes you have those nights. Hailee and I finally make it home, quickly consume dinner, vaccuum, make beds, etc... The company has arrived and I remember I haven't even taken a look in the mirror. I go for a quick glance and there it is, tired baggy eyes with mascara shades underneath, a pregnant belly and ketchup stains on my shirt from Hailee's sandwich. At this point, I just want to take a bath and get in my PJ's! The people were great and it was a good visit and I am thankful for the "traffic" in the house. I rocked my little one to sleep just now and I know that I am abundantly blessed. We sang Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and played peek a boo. I laid her in her bed, "Night Night Mommy, luv you." she says. I smile and tell her the same and thankful for the day that I had, stuck trains and all.

2 comments:

mrs.fitz said...

i remember those trains, and have to say that i'm thankful there are no train tracks in our mountain neighborhood! :)

Leslie said...

I'm betting my niece didn't even notice there was no slaving over a fire for dinner. She probably loved all the activity! You just remember that the ketchup stains and baggy eyes are signs of a dedicated mommy and be proud of them!